"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~ 1 Corinthians 10:31


Monday, May 6, 2013

Natural Remedies

I've had a bit of a cough over the last few days.  I'm so thankful there hasn't been a cold come on with it, just cough and chest congestion.  I've been coughing really bad at night.  Whenever Jeromy would make me laugh this weekend, I sounded like a smoker.  It was so funny! 

I finally decided to take some medicine yesterday and had to look up which ones I could take.  I had a list of approved medicines from my first doctor and found that Robitussin cough syrup was on the list.  My normal inclination would be to take the medicine without hesitation.  However I was a little hesitant because of the pregnancy.  I'm sure its fine if its on the list but I just wasn't sure what I wanted to put into my body and therefore the baby's body.  I have many friends that don't take "normal" over the counter medicines or antibiotics unless absolutely necessary.  I decided I would ask my friend Melissa what she would do in my case.  She suggested a hot shower, tea, warm brothy soups, and echinacea.  I had to google echinacea honestly because I didn't know what it was :) I found you can get it in many different forms so I had to ask Melissa again what she would do! I decided I would get the echinacea capsules and some tea with echinacea too on her recommendation.


This was the only kind of tea I could find with echinacea in it so I gave it a whirl.
 
 
I took a capsule and drank some tea when we got home from the store.  I could totally tell the tea was working, my chest was feeling much better afterwards.  I knew it probably wasn't going to last all night though so I did take some of the cough syrup for night time.  I ended up taking two doses throughout the night.  I'm not sure if it helped or not. 
 
I was determined to use just the natural remedies during the day today and try to keep the medicine at a minimum.  I took a hot shower this morning, drank more tea, took more capsules, had brothy soup at lunch and took no medicine.  I don't know if it was coincidence or not but I felt better today! I didn't cough quite as much in the afternoon after the soup.  We'll see how this evening goes, I don't think I'm going to take the cough syrup, just gonna drink more tea. 
 
I would like to try my best to go to more natural remedies first before going to medicine especially for Jonathan when he comes.  We'll see how it goes.  I would say today was a very successful first attempt! I'm proud of myself! 

No comments:

Post a Comment